The Classic Inca Trail is considered by many to be amongst the top five treks in the world. Although it is only 43 kilometers long, much of it is at high altitude and you must have a good level of fitness and be acclimatised, before attempting this trek. You are rewarded all along the trail with magnificent mountain views and fascinating Incan ruins. Then at the end, you walk through the Sun Gate and into the magical, mysterious and fascinating Machu Picchu.
Length: 4 days / 3 nights
Departs: All year round
Fitness Level: Good (high altitude)
Itinerary: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
Day 1: Day 1: Cusco – Piskacucho- Yunkachimpa
Pick up from the hotel by private bus, after passing Chincheros, Urubamba and Ollantaytambo, in Valle Sagrado (Sacred Valley) of the Incas, we arrive at Piskacucho. This is the starting place of our trek. We have lunch in Miskay with a 1.5hour stop approximately. Then we resume the long trek to the first campsite at Yunkachimpa. On the way, we visit Llactapata’s Archeological Site and appreciate the crop terraces of the area.
Day 2: Yunkachimpa – Warmiwañusca – Runkurakay
We start the long trek up to the highest point of the Inca Trail, where we can observe different microclimates. We follow the narrow trail and stone steps through cloud forests, crossing Warmiwañusca’s ravine at 4200 m. We stop for lunch at the sector of Paqaymayo. After lunch, we continue onto Runkurakay, where we see “The Egg Hut” or circular Incan structure and camp for the night.
Day 3: Runkurakay – Chaq’icocha – Wiñay Wayna
After trekking for 45 minutes we arrive to the next high point of 3850m and we visit Sayacmarka’s archeological site. We resume trekking to Phuyupatamarka, one of the best preserved towns on the trail and here, we have lunch. After lunch we trek to Wiñay Wayna and visit the impressive archeological site of the same name. We have spare time to explore these ruins and enjoy the spectacular scenery before dinner.
Day 4 : Wiñay Wayna – Machu Picchu – Cusco
After breakfast, we start trekking to our magic destination of Machu Picchu. We arrive at Intipunku’s sector (The Sun Gate), where we can appreciate Machu Picchu’s ruins with 180 degree views. We discover a majestic citadel and start the visit to appreciate it in all its magnificence.
After we finish our visit we descend by bus to Aguas Calientes. We have lunch and then return to Cusco by the train. We can relax and enjoy the beautiful mountain and river vistas on the way back
- Transfer to beginning point of Inca Trail
- Transfer to train station (Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes)
- Required tourist tickets: Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- Professional guide, fluent in Spanish and English
- Meals and cooking equipment – 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners and snacks.
- Porters for tents and kitchen equipment
- Equipment: tent, mattress, communal tents, tables, chairs, oxygen and first-aid kit.
- Train to Cusco: Backpacker Express (tourist train).
- Breakfast of the first day (normally hotels offer breakfast)
- Personal porter for backpacks, sleeping bags and mats (Note: We can arrange a personal for an additional cost. There is a maximum weight of 6.5 kilos apiece: Regulations of the UGM.)
- Lunch in restaurant in Aguas Calientes village(last day)
- Sleeping bag (it is possible to rent one).
PRICE: US$420.00 per person
Note: The price is based on a twin share tent. A single supplement applies, if you request your own tent.